[Users] Need help building Einstein Toolkit: clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 13 10:15:13 CDT 2021

Hello Murray,

clang (in particular Apple's version delivered in OSX) is not fully
supported by the ET (due to, at least historically, no OpenMP support,
no paired Fortran compiler).

Please see the initial section of:

https://github.com/nds-org/jupyter-et/blob/master/CactusTutorial.ipynb

for how to use the ET on OSX using homebrew or macports.

If you have a Fortran compiler installed you can try disabling openmp
by setting OPENMP=no in your option list. I strongly advise consulting
the link I provided above and following the (tested and
verified) instructions there in particular if this is your first time
using the toolkit.