[Users] CarpetMask and SphericalSurface

Gabriele Bozzola bozzola.gabriele at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:26:46 CST 2021

Hi,

I am running the latest release of the Einstein Toolkit with
Cactus::presync_mode = "mixed-error". When I add the thorn
CarpetMask, the system returns an error: CarpetMask wants
sf_info from SphericalSurface, which is not available.

Looking at the scheduler, I can see why this is happening
(relevant section):

        GROUP MaskBase_SetupMask: Set up the weight function
          GROUP MaskBase_SetupMaskAll: Set up the weight function
            CarpetReduce::MaskBase_AllocateMask: [global] Allocate the
weight function
            CarpetReduce::MaskBase_InitMask: [global] [loop-local]
Initialise the weight function
            GROUP SetupIMaskInternal: Set up the integer weight function
(schedule other routines in here)
              CarpetReduce::CoordBase_SetupMask: [global] [loop-local] Set
up the outer boundaries of the weight function
              CarpetReduce::CarpetMaskSetup: [global] [loop-singlemap] Set
up the weight function for the restriction regions
            GROUP SetupIMask: Set up the integer weight function (schedule
other routines in here)
              CarpetMask::CarpetExcludedSetup: [global] [loop-local] Set up
the weight function for the excluded regions
              CarpetMask::CarpetSurfaceSetup: [global] [loop-local] Set up
the weight function for the excluded spherical surfaces
            CarpetReduce::MaskBase_SetMask: [global] [loop-local] Set the
weight function
            GROUP SetupMask: Set up the real weight function (schedule
other routines in here)
            CarpetReduce::MaskBase_TestMask: [global] Test the weight
function
        SphericalSurface::SphericalSurface_Set: [global] Set surface radii
to be used for initial setup in other thorns
        GROUP SphericalSurface_HasBeenSet: Set the spherical surfaces
before this group, and use it afterwards
          SphericalSurface::SphericalSurface_CheckState: [global] Test the
state of the spherical surfaces

As you see, CarpetMask is scheduled before SphericalSurface_Set,
which is what sets sf_info. This is in the BASEGRID bin.

Since I haven't touched neither CarpetMask nor SphericalSurface, I
would think this is a bug, but I maybe I am doing something wrong
(I've never used presync_mode before).

I also take the chance to point out two tickets Pedro Espino and I
opened but received no attention:
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2487/_evolution_method-leanbssnmol-in-lean-does
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2484/lack-of-convergence-of-neutron-star

Best,