[Users] Unexpected Hamiltonian constraint violation from refinement when using CCZ4

CHEN, Kenneth kchen at link.cuhk.edu.hk
Thu Jul 22 10:04:24 CDT 2021

Hi, Peter,

Thanks for your suggestions, which are quite helpful.

I was using the independent "Dissipation" thorn
Dissipation::epsdis = 0.1
Dissipation::order = 5
Dissipation::vars                       = "
        ML_CCZ4::ML_log_confac
        ML_CCZ4::ML_metric
        ML_CCZ4::ML_trace_curv
        ML_CCZ4::ML_curv
        ML_CCZ4::ML_Gamma
        ML_CCZ4::ML_lapse
        ML_CCZ4::ML_shift
        ML_CCZ4::ML_dtlapse
        ML_CCZ4::ML_dtshift
"
for RK4, which turned out to be not enough dissipation for damping out the high frequency oscillation of the constrain violation.

Then I turned on the dissipation of ML_CCZ4::epsdiss = 0.1, It worked, no more large violation near refinement boundaries.

However, not very sure about how these two "epsdis" work differently.

BR
KZ