[Users] Crash due to CarpetLib (apparently)

Lorenzo Ennoggi lorenzo.ennoggi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 13:30:15 CST 2021

Hi,
one of my BNS simulations with the Spritz code started from a checkpoint
and, after running for about one day, crashed with exit code 8. The error
seems to be related to the Einstein Toolkit infrastructure, so I am posting
this message on this mailing list. I am attaching the stdout and stderr
(even though they don't look very informative) and the backtrace.

Running addr2line -e <Cactus executable> <address> with the <address>
listed at point 3 in the backtrace, I see that the error originates from
Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/defs.hh:144 . In order to see how
we get to that point, I am listing here the files and line numbers
corresponding to points 4 to 11 in the backtrace (points 12 and 13 are not
relevant I think):

4.   Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/OutputSlice.cc:1087
5.   Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/OutputSlice.cc:562
6.   Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/OutputSlice.cc:469
7.   Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/OutputSlice.cc:356
8.   Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/OutputGH.cc:51
9.   Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/Evolve.cc:730
10. Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/Evolve.cc:703
11. Cactus/src/main/flesh.cc:88

Visually, the 1D and 2D output does not show any obviously wrong features,
so I have no clue about what is going on. Do you have any ideas?

I am also attaching the parameter file I am running with and the
optionlist I used to compile. Kindly let me know if I can provide further
info and/or attach any other file you may find useful.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
Lorenzo Ennoggi