[Users] Crash due to CarpetLib (apparently)

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:16:09 CST 2021

Lorenzo

Thank you for the detailed analysis of the error location. This helps a lot!

This is likely caused by an integer division by zero. If you look at
the first error
"Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/defs.hh:144", you see that
this function calculates an integer modulo. Signal 8 is a floating
point exception, which is also raised for integer math, in particular
for division by zero.

It seems that this happens during output, while determining which
regions of the grid are output. The modulo operations there are
usually used either for error checking or to determine whether coarse
and fine grid points are aligned.

I don't know what would cause this problem. It could be that the error
goes away if you try again. It might also be caused by a weird grid
structure. Carpet has a lot of checks to ensure that the grid
structure is reasonable, but these checks seem to fail sometimes. If
that is the case, then a minor change to the grid structure (making
refined regions slightly larger or smaller) might avoid the error. It
might also be that changing the number of MPI processes helps, since
this would change the domain decomposition of the grid structure.

To investigate further we would need to know the grid structure at the
time when the error occurs.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>