[Users] How to use Formaline -- symbol table/file error

Bernard Kelly physicsbeany at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 10:28:45 CDT 2022

Hi. I've frequently included Formaline in my ThornList, but never tried to
use it to access the snapshot it saved of the codebase I compiled into a
particular Cactus executable. Now I'm trying to use it, and I'm having
problems.

The documentation says I should invoke it thus:

> gdb -P formaline.py exe/cactus_sim

Since my executable sits in a different directory (bin) for production
runs, what I actually run is the following, with the following failure
message:

----------------------------
pfe20.bjkelly1 60> gdb -P formaline.py bin/cactus_sim_ET_2021_05_BC
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "formaline.py", line 29, in <module>
    cactus_source = gdb.parse_and_eval("cactus_source")
gdb.error: No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks, Bernard

Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Assistant Research Scientist, NASA/GSFC
Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory --- Code 663

Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 *** Fax: +1 (301) 286-2226
Web: http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/bernard.j.kelly
ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3326-4454