[Users] How to use Formaline -- symbol table/file error

Bernard Kelly physicsbeany at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:51:25 CDT 2022

Hi Roland. Thanks for the quick response.

I tried running the executable using a parameter file that only included
'ActiveThorns = "Formaline"', as you suggested. This seemed to work, but
the result was a new directory called 'cactus-source' that included only a
handful of basic thorns:

Cactus-source-ADMAnalysis.tar.gz
Cactus-source-ADMBase.tar.gz
Cactus-source-ADMCoupling.tar.gz
Cactus-source-ADMMacros.tar.gz
Cactus-source-ADMMass.tar.gz
Cactus-source-CactusConfig.tar.gz
Cactus-source-Cactus.tar.gz

Does this mean that Formaline didn't store the other thorns, or that they
have to be dug out some other way?

Bernard

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 14:26, Roland Haas <rhaas at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hello Bernard,
>
> > Follow-up thought: since gdb is a debugger, does this mean I should have
> > compiled the original executable with debugging symbols? (Something I
> > almost never do for a production executable.)
> Almost certainly, yes. Though maybe not all off them but enough that
> say "nm exe/cactus_sim_ET_2021_05_BC" reports something for
> cactus_source (eg in my case nm exe/cactus_sim | grep
> 'cactus_source$' -> 0000000006fdc1c0 D cactus_source). Gdb needs to be
> able to resolve the "cactus_source" symbol into the actual address.
> Otherwise it will be hard to find out that correct starting point for
> the linked list of tar file fragments.
>
> If you can still run the the executable then running it with a minimal
> thornlist that says
>
> ActiveThorns = "Formaline"
>
> will write out the source code tarball.
>
> Yours,
> Roland
>
> --
> My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
> and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.

Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Assistant Research Scientist, NASA/GSFC
Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory --- Code 663

Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 *** Fax: +1 (301) 286-2226
Web: http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/bernard.j.kelly
ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3326-4454