[Users] [IllinoisGRMHD] Issues at installation

Valentín Nicolás Pena Donaire vipena at uc.cl
Thu Jul 13 22:58:13 CDT 2023

Dear all,
I hope this email finds you well.

I'm writing to you as per indication in Step 7 at https://illinoisgrmhd.net/getstarted.html. I'm currently working in IMBH hierarchical mergers in AGN discs, and I think it'd be good for my project to use the code IllinoisGRMHD, as it considers 3D effects in the GRMHD phenomena around BHs. However, I've found a couple persisting issues at installation.

I'm running on a Windows 11 Pro WSL x Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish". At Step 0, I have made sure to install a fully functional version of the Einstein Toolkit.

  1.  As per indicated in Step 4, I went to the file ubuntu-Intel.cfg (attached), as referred by my version of make_config-runmefirst. I was able to apt-get install all the packages referred in the preamble of ubuntu-Intel.cfg, except for libmpich2-dev, so I installed the closest packages available to apt-get: libmpich-dev and libmpich12.
  2.  At Step 4, when I try to ./make_config-runmefirst, I get the following error message:

checking whether the C compiler (icc .-xhost -openmp -0fast -align -std=gnu99 -rdynamic) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (see configs/<configname>/config-data/config.log for details).

Error creating configuration etilgrmhd
make: *** [Makefile:762: etilgrmhd-config] Error 2

I am attaching config.log as config.log for reference as well, as config-1.log.

If I change CC = icc in ubuntu-Intel.cfg to CC = gcc (which afaik my machine has installed), I get the same error message, but with a different config.log (attached as config-2.log), telling me about an unrecognised -align option.

If I remove the -align flag from CFLAGS in ubuntu-Intel.cfg, I get the same error message with another config.log (attached as config-3.log), telling me about a host language not being recognised.

And, lastly, if I change the -xhost flag in CFLAGS to -xc or -xc99, the same thing happens. The config.log file of this last option is attached as config-4.log.

At this point I don't know what else to try to get a running version of IllinoisGRMHD.

To be honest, I don't really know much about bash yet, so I was hoping you could provide some support about my installation issues. I will be happy to answer any questions necessary.

Sincerely,
Valentín Peña-Donaire
MSc Student
Institute of Astrophysics, School of Physics
The Pontifical Catholic University of Chile.