[Users] The generaion of initial data of BNS system with large mass ratio using Lorene

Konrad Topolski topolski at itp.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Mar 1 05:13:34 CST 2023

Hi Jimmy

The lower mass that you are asking Lorene for is not realized for neutron stars (lower mass limit >~1.0M_sun)
and would rather approach the mass for a brown dwarf. This lower mass and the upper theoretical limit places an upper constraint
on the mass ratio to be around q~2. For initial data generation, this limit is of course equation of state - dependent.

Consistent with this fact and the theoretical constructions of the equations of state,
such a mass ratio is not achievable in the context of neutron stars.

Out of the most extreme configurations I've seen,
FUKA initial data solver (publicly available) is known to achieve q~2.2 and
at least q~2.1 is achieved for SGRID code,  LORENE q~1.82, judging
from the CoRe database.

I do not have much experience with Lorene, but it might not be straightforward to achieve even the
theoretically admissible vicinity of q~2.0 due to domain decomposition issues.
Perhaps someone with more experience with it could clarify what's realizable with publicly available version of Lorene.

Best regards
Konrad Topolski