[Users] [Maintainers] New Tutorial Account Requested

Steven R. Brandt sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Mar 8 14:59:14 CST 2023

On 3/8/2023 2:13 PM, Enzo Iubini wrote:
> Thank you Steve!
>
> My problem is: the simulation gifs of the Wave Equation and Heat
> Equation notebooks on the tutorial folder are not showing correctly.

So I just clicked through the heat equation notebook. The cell that ends
with:

## play animation
from IPython.display import HTML
HTML(anim.to_html5_video())  #playback option 1
#HTML(anim.to_jshtml())       #playback option 2

Played an animation for me. Initially, there is a spike at the center of
the grid, and it evolves to become flat. (It also printed a deprecation
warning about the "close_event" function, whatever that is).

Did you click through to this cell or did you stop at the one before?
Because the one before it just displays a still image.

The WaveEquation also worked for me by just clicking through the cells
in order.

> I'm trying to understand how Cactus works, so I ran every cell in the
> notebook while looking at the Terminal and seeing how each file is
> created and its contents.
> The problem comes when I finally run the simulations, which take a while.
This happens in seconds for me.
> So after the running is complete, there's this section called "Extract
> data from hdf5 files".
> The files exist, as I have previously checked, but the time steps
> array is actually a [0,0] array in the heat equation, and a very
> random array in the wave equation.
> In both cases, when plotting the simulations, the solution does not
> change from the initial condition.
Did you modify the cells from the original tutorial? Because this all
just worked for me.

> I tried to open the data files to see if I could understand what was
> going on but I'm unable to open these kind of files, and Cactus being
> a black box leaves me helpless to see where the mistake is coming from.

So I disagree that Cactus is a black box since it is open source and the
purpose of these tutorials is to show how it works... but it's a very
big non-black box which can be overwhelming.

I think your problem is the hdf5 files, not Cactus. Hdf5 is a file
format that Cactus uses. You can open them with commands like h5ls, or
Python's h5py library (which the notebook provides some examples of usage).

> I want to work on the problems at the end of these notebooks, but not
> correctly seeing the solution makes me think there's something wrong
> since the beggining, and I have not changed anything else from the
> initial notebook.

So I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but I suspect you've either not
clicked far enough or you have modified the notebook. Please check and
let me know.

--Steve