[Users] Compilation Error in cluster ParamGanga

Frank Loeffler frank.loeffler at uni-jena.de
Wed May 3 05:19:27 CDT 2023

Hi Shamim

On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 03:11:49PM +0530, Shamim Haque 1910511 wrote:
>We are trying to compile ETK on ParamGanga at IIT Roorkee. The
>compilation
>stops at a very initial step and gives out the error:
>
>*checking whether the Fortran compiler (gfortran  ) works... yeschecking
>whether the Fortran compiler (gfortran  ) is a cross-compiler... nochecking
>whether the Fortran compiler (gfortran  ) supports TYPE(*) for
>CCTK_PointerTo... yeschecking how to run the C preprocessor... cppchecking
>for ANSI C header files... nochecking for C99 features... yeschecking for
>M_PI... noconfigure: error: M_PI not defined. Try adding -D_XOPEN_SOURCE to
>CPPFLAGS.*
>
>We tried adding -D_XOPEN_SOURCE to CPPFLAGS, but it does not help. This
>error is consistent if we set up using Intel Compiler (2020 or 2019), or
>gcc (11 or 10). I have attached the outfile, error file, machine script,
>and option lists for both cases (Intel and gcc) for any reference.
>
>Secondly, we are not allowed to compile ETK on login nodes. So we are
>queuing a job script, which upon execution, enters the Cactus directory,
>does "setup-silent", and then executes the build command. Is this the right
>way to compile ETK using the batch script? Or should we do something
>different? I have attached the shell script (compile.sh) used for sbatch
>queue for reference.

I might be wrong, but setup-silent will not use your machine file which
contains all the compiler flags, but will setup something "from scratch"
instead. According to the logs, this will be, e.g., in

/home/shamims.iiserb/ET_debug/Cactus/repos/simfactory2/mdb/machines/cn139.iitr.ac.in.ini

My guess would be that this misses the compiler flags necessary to have
M_PI defined. The best way to get this working might be to let
simfactory also detect the cluster configuration on the compute nodes
(where you compile), such that setup-silent is not needed, but instead
the correct cluster configuration is found and used automatically. In
order to do that, look at examples of 'aliaspattern' in the mdb/machines
directory. An alternative would be to tell simfactory specifically that
you want to use your machine configuration file.

As a side-note: I noticed the command 'patch' is missing too. This is a
tool so common that it should be installed everywhere. Your admin is
probably the best person to ask for advise here. It should not be too
hard to install yourself, but that should not be necessary either,
especially when you are told to compile on compute nodes.

Frank