[Users] Support Ticket - Hamza

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 16 08:50:00 CDT 2024

Hello Hamza,

> I am currently attempting to work my way through this website, for setting
> up the Einstein toolkit on windows.  Setup Tutorial - Einstein Toolkit
> Documentation <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Setup_Tutorial__;!!DZ3fjg!96rlBO3tVRIBAVENHsewo8f4IdbyMNBwMsb93N6ohsMWXnzK-S8YPG-4aIFQ0dLoKjRkULo6zlT9xtSnFqs$ >. I

Uff, that is one very old tutorial. It is unfortunately quite likely
out of date (I will add a warning on top to that effect).

Instead I would suggest following the instructions in the juyter
notebook (by copying and pasting the commands from the cells to your
terminal):

https://github.com/einsteintoolkit/jupyter-et/blob/master/tutorial-server/notebooks/CactusTutorial.ipynb

It lists both the Ubuntu packages to install and the commands used to
download and compile. No custom option list is required anymore and the
"generic.cfg" one used by default will work.

> am using Ubuntu in windows powershell for my installation, but when it
> comes to the part about option lists for different linux versions on the
> webpage, I am unable to find the option list they are referencing and can't
> seem to find any replacement for it. I'm using simfactory2 instead of the
> original simfactory they reference in the 2017 web page, and the most
> recent versions of all the files and cactus that are posted on the website.

With the prerequisite packages installed you will not require any
special option list since Cactus's build system will detect all
required packages.