[Users] Tenured professorship in Astrophysics at the University of Milano-Bicocca (Italy)

Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
Mon Jan 22 05:02:21 CST 2024

The University of Milano-Bicocca (Milan, Italy) will be opening a tenured
professorship in astrophysics, with a focus on gravitational-wave data
analysis and exploitation. With this notice, we invite expressions of
interest from potential candidates.

Milano-Bicocca hosts a large group in gravitational astronomy, with
activities covering all bands of the gravitational-wave spectrum and the
related experiments (LIGO/Virgo, LISA, ET, PTA). Faculty members with
matching interests include Bortolas, Colpi, Dotti, Gerosa, Giacomazzo, and
Sesana. The group hosts two large ERC grants and currently counts about 10
PhD students and 15 postdocs. We are part of a wider astrophysics unit at
Milano-Bicocca (with activities in large-scale structures and experimental
cosmology) as well as a large Physics department with ~70 faculty members.

We are targeting the opening of a faculty position on a timescale of a few
months, with a prospective starting date in the early fall of 2024.
Onboarding will be at the associate professor level (“professore associato”
in the Italian system), which is a tenured appointment. Formal application
requirements include holding either the Italian national habilitation (ASN)
or a comparable position abroad for at least 3 years. We are happy to
assist potential candidates with their ASN application.

Current strategic interests include the development of gravitational-wave
data-analysis pipelines for the LISA space mission. At the same time, we
are open to all strong candidates willing to bring their ambitious research
programs in relativistic astrophysics and/or gravitational-wave astronomy
to Milan.

Interested applicants are encouraged to send their CVs and a short cover
letter to bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it by February 15th, 2024. The CV should
include the names and email addresses of three referees who might be
approached for references.

--

Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo
Department of Physics

email: bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321
web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org

Those who understand binary, and those who don't