[Workshop-all] software requirements

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 24 20:20:14 CDT 2017

Hello all,

for the North American Einstein Toolkit School and Workshop you will
need some software installed to be able to get started right away.

This page

https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/NCSAETK2017/setup#Handouts

contains information on what software to install. You should at least
install a web browser that supports javascript, VisIt and an ssh
client. Other software is optional but can be very useful to have. You
should not require a powerful laptop as most work will be done using
remote machines.

We will have a 1 hour computer setup sessionbefore the school on Monday
July 31 from 8am - 9am and will eg have USB sticks with the required
software ready. Setting things up in advance will avoid stressful first
days when you are trying to handle both the lectures and fixing your
laptop.