[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #241: Thorns should be able to specify implementation versions, and other thorns should be able to depend on those

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Fri Feb 10 10:00:42 CST 2012

#241: Thorns should be able to specify implementation versions, and other thorns
should be able to depend on those
  Reporter:  knarf        |       Owner:
      Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
 Component:  Cactus       |     Version:
Resolution:               |    Keywords:

Comment (by knarf):

 Using capabilities for this sounds a good idea, but we would need to
 specify that a thorn depends on a specific implementation providing some
 capability - otherwise we couldn't produce a good error message in case it
 is missing. Having the implementation name and the name of the required
 capability should be enough to output "Need another (probably newer)
 version of implementation X (provided by thorn Y) for thorn Z".

 One advantage of this over #error for example is that it would catch
 problems in the CST stage, not at compile time when the developer is
 already off for a coffee, and the error itself can be buried in a lot of
 output due to a parallel build.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/241#comment:6>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>