[ET Trac] #2483: Simfactory job parameters are not consistent

Steven R. Brandt trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Tue Jan 18 13:04:08 CST 2022

#2483: Simfactory job parameters are not consistent

 Reporter: Steven R. Brandt
Component: SimFactory

Comment (by Steven R. Brandt):

I chose the term “total threads” because that’s what all of the documentation uses. You have stated previously that you think you don’t want to support the terminology in the documentation. There is a PR \(the \`fixsub\` branch of simfactory\) which implements `--total-threads`. It also introduces `--nodes` and `--node-procs` which \(I think\) is the functionality you are suggesting with `--ranks` or `--mpi-ranks`. It also introduces `--test` to see whether the simfactory options you provide do what you think they do.

I would be perfectly happy to name all these options something different, but I would like to see this PR accepted in some form, as both `--procs` and `--cores` are not the things that they are named after. I have frequently been confused by the behavior of these parameters.

An alternative to the `--total-threads` would be to simply get rid of the smt stuff, which was the source of much confusion for me.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2483/simfactory-job-parameters-are-not