[Users] Completing GetComponents' transition to GitHub

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Dec 2 09:40:52 CST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Eric Seidel <eric at eseidel.org> wrote:
> Frank Loeffler wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:25:12AM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>
> I think GetComponents
> should be handled in the same way, and would omit the symlink.
>
> I wouldn't know how to do that without just coping GetComponents and not
> having it in a repository.
>
> As Frank said, this would not be possible with the way GetComponents handles
> git repositories. We would have to symlink GetComponents (or a "CRL"
> directory). I'm not particularly happy with the way this is handled by
> GetComponents, and I've been thinking about modifying the behavior to place
> the actual repo in !TARGET unless something is specified in !CHECKOUT, but
> that is another discussion...

Ah, I think I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to have a link to
the GetComponents script itself in the Cactus directory. Yes, a link
to the CRL directory makes sense; this is the "standard" way we handle
git repositories at the moment.

> As to Erik's suggestion of placing everything in a single "CRL" directory,
> that would actually be a more sensible name for the git repository. It also
> holds my experimental generateCRL script, which generates a component list
> based on the items you have checked out (only works with cvs and svn so
> far). I don't know if GitHub allows you to change the name of your
> repository, but I might change it if they do.

You could create a new project. Better now than later...
"GetComponents" is a rather specific name and limits the scope of the
project.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/