[Users] bug or feature?

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri Sep 4 04:26:06 CDT 2015

On 1 Sep 2015, at 16:01, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a thorn I am constructing from a Kranc script. it compiles ok.  However, upon looking at its schedule.inc file there is a section in which apparently doubling up occurs. Here is the section:
>
> schedule formgk AT CCTK_INITIAL before CT_MultiLevel
> {
>   LANG: C
>   SYNC: CT_g
>   READS: grid::x(Everywhere)
>   READS: grid::y(Everywhere)
>   READS: grid::z(Everywhere)
>   READS: grid::x(Everywhere)
>   READS: grid::y(Everywhere)
>   READS: grid::z(Everywhere)
>   WRITES: CT_BrillAnalytic::g11(Interior)
>   WRITES: CT_BrillAnalytic::g12(Interior)
>   WRITES: CT_BrillAnalytic::g13(Interior)
>   WRITES: CT_BrillAnalytic::g22(Interior)
>   WRITES: CT_BrillAnalytic::g23(Interior)
>   WRITES: CT_BrillAnalytic::g33(Interior)
> } "formgk"
>

> My question is how come there is a doubling of a READS grid::x(Everywhere) along with the same for y and z?  I don't see any problem in the script which obviously induces such behavior.  So, does this indicate that there is a problem somewhere or should I ignore the doubling of the READS for x, y, and z?  This script prepares initial data so this would not occur repeatedly.

Hi Comer,

This looks like a bug in Kranc.  Different parts of Kranc are probably contributing accesses to the coordinate variables, and Kranc is not de-duplicating them.  Since Cactus/Carpet currently don't look at these entries, it should be harmless for the moment.  I have created an issue on Kranc's issue tracker: https://github.com/ianhinder/Kranc/issues/131.  Would you be OK with sending me the script which has this problem, so I can attach it to the issue?  Note that this would make the script publicly-available.  If this is not OK, you can just send it to me privately.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin