[Users] Test case notes

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Sep 14 10:52:05 CDT 2015

Hi,

I have just read the notes at

	https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/adding_a_test_case

and wanted to make a comment.  It says there that the test cases should run in < 2 minutes.  We currently have 400 tests, so if all tests took 2 minutes, the tests would take 13 hours to run.  They currently run in 30 minutes, and many tests take less than a second.  I would modify the guidelines to say

	"Tests should run as quickly as possible; ideally in less than one second.  Longer tests are OK if this is absolutely necessary to test for regressions."

You can see an overview of the test run times at

	https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkit/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/(root)/

You can click on "Duration" to sort by duration.  Note that this is listed by thorn; you can click on an individual thorn to break the times down into individual tests.  I don't know how to find the longest running tests across all thorns.

PS: I don't know who wrote that wiki page as they didn't log in to the wiki, so only an IP address is recorded.  Please use your wiki accounts if you have one!

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin