[Users] Information about grid decomposition

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Nov 10 08:46:05 CST 2016

Cosima

This information is available from Carpet. Carpet maintains a "grid
hierarchy" gh, and if you use AMR, there will be a single gh that you can
look up in Carpet, probably as "Carpet::vhh.at(0)" (this is C++ code). This
grid hierarchy contains the information you want -- you can look up which
regions exist, to which process they are assigned, and you can also look up
on which region (and thus on which process) a particular point is located.

Having said this -- are you sure that this will save a noticeable amount of
time compared to letting Carpet handle the interpolation? Did you benchmark
your current implementation? If you leave out the interpolation in your
current implementation, how much time do you save?

I'd be happy to discuss further. A good venue would e.g. be one of the
Einstein Toolkit telecons that we have on Mondays. (I might not attend next
Monday because I'll be at SC16.)

-erik