[Users] Machines used with the Einstein Toolkit

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Nov 22 12:46:09 CST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:41:38AM +0100, Ian Hinder wrote:
>For the upcoming release, we have only a small number of machines on
>which the tests have been run
>(http://einsteintoolkit.org/release-info/parse_testsuite_results.php).
>Usually we have many more.  It would be very helpful to find out what
>machines people are actually wanting to use with the toolkit, so that
>we can focus testing on machines that people actually care about.
>
>Please could you let us know which machines are important for you?

Here is a list of machines mentioned on the wiki that are in need,
grouped but otherwise unsorted:

carver
edison
gordon
shelob
stampede
supermuc
zwicky

We don't have a volunteer for any of them. Not every maintainer has
access to those machines, so if you do, please consider helping. If you
are actively using some of these machines, please consider helping. If
you have used or are thinking about using one of these machines, please
consider helping.

Volunteering would mean to run the testsuites (the entire suite) on 1
and 2 mpi processes, using as many openmp threads as makes sense on that
machine for one node. Use the standard development checkout of the
toolkit (do a fresh one). Then you either sent the resulting two
'summary.log' files to any of the maintainers, or put them on the ET web
pages if you do have commit permissions yourself (all devs should have).
At this point you can stop, if all testsuites pass. If not
- well - there is more work to do. Also take into account that this
process might involve updating the simfactory entries, especially the
option list.

If we will not find someone who is willing to do the tests on these
machines, they will likely not be included in the testing. It is up to
you. Also, feel free to test other machines as well, and let us know
about how things went. Ideally, send us the resulting log files, and
we'll include them. It is always nice for a computing allocation report
of some kind to have a sentence ready like: "Our group also ensured that
our computational framework (the Einstein Toolkit) included cluster XYZ
in it's regular release testing".

Below, I just copy&paste some commands that might come in handy; maybe
not always verbatim, but as guide what to do.

Frank

Get the ET thornlist:

GetComponents --parallel \
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/raw/master/einsteintoolkit.th

(I assume you have simfactory configured and know some basics)

Build:

sim build --thornlist=../einsteintoolkit.th

Run like this (or by hand, setting OMP_NUM_THREADS as well):

sim create-submit tests1 --testsuite --procs 20 --num-threads=20
sim create-submit tests2 --testsuite --procs 20 --num-threads=10

(This is for nodes with 20 cores.)

This will create:

simulations/tests[12]/output-0000/TEST/sim/summary.log

The naming convention for the website script is:

  NAME__#mpi_#threads.log

Example:

  http://einsteintoolkit.org/release-info/qb__1_20.log

These will be parsed (once uploaded) for this web site:

  http://einsteintoolkit.org/release-info/parse_testsuite_results.php

The repository for the website is:

  https://svn.einsteintoolkit.org/www/

And you can find the files here: