[Users] HDF5 3D output separate time files

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Thu Jun 22 13:29:42 CDT 2017

On 20 Jun 2017, at 15:04, Hayley Macpherson <hayley.macpherson at monash.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am using the Einstein Toolkit for cosmological simulations, and would like to ask a question regarding my HDF5 3D output.
> Currently I am outputting all 3D snapshots to one HDF5 file (as per default). I would like to have my output as separate files for each time snapshot, to help with ease of copying and visualisation in post processing.
>
> I found the following parameter in IOUtil, and changed it accordingly for a simulation:
> IO::out_timesteps_per_file = 1
> However this made no difference to my output, I still had multiple time snapshots in the one file.
>
> Is there another way to separate my 3D HDF5 output into one file per snapshot?
> Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

Hi Hayley,

Looking at the code, I don't immediately see why it's not working.  If you look in the file

arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/CarpetIOHDF5.cc

in the function OutputVarAs, around line 895, there is the code for outputting a fixed number of timesteps in a given file.

  if (out_timesteps_per_file > 0) {
    // Round down to nearest multiple of out_timesteps_per_file
    int const iter =
        cctk_iteration / out_timesteps_per_file * out_timesteps_per_file;
    char buffer[32];
    snprintf(buffer, sizeof(buffer), ".iter_%d", iter);
    filename.append(buffer);
  }

Maybe you can add some debugging code to work out whether this code is being executed or not, and why it's not doing the right thing.

Do you get a new file with the ".iter_..." suffix?  Are you perhaps looking at an old file without this suffix which was left over from earlier runs?

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin