[Users] update LORENE version within ExternalLibraries

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 11 10:25:57 CST 2021

Hello all,

I dug up the old meeting minutes from when LORENE2 was first introduced
(from 2016):

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2016-October/005020.html

basically we introduced LORENE2 to indicate the breaking change and
left LORENE as the default version in the thornlist.

At the very least we should be able to update LORENE2 to the current
version (assuming no more breaking changes in between) and, if we want
to deprecate LORENE1 and remove, possibly only in the release after the
next one, switch defaults. The issue is that one cannot compile both
thorns at the same time so switching from LORENE1 to LORENE2 will break
existing parfiles (for example the gallery example).

Making LORENE2 the default was a decision reached in the ET call on
2018-03-12:

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-March/006122.html

where it says:

--8<--
updating LORENE:
* make LORENE2 the default after verifying that everything compiles and
  that gallery example works with LORENE2
* check that BBH ID from Meudon group can still be read
* create ticket for this
* get this done within a month
--8<--

and from future minutes, nothing seems to have happened though in

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-October/006610.html

it says

--8<--
* update ET to LORENE2
** need to check that files can still be read
** old ticket stated that there would be an abort for some files writen
by old an read by new LORENE or vice versa
--8<--

and

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-November/006634.html

says

--8<--
LORENE2:
* switch thornlist to have LORENE2 as the default
--8<--

and

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-November/006661.html

--8<--
 tasks for next Einstein Toolkit relelase trac listing:
** LORENE2, should be enable in thornlist to compile, Zac wanted to provide a small data set to load it
--8<--

and the same note in

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-November/006667.html

However in 2018-02-03 an issue was raised by Zach

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-December/006679.html

--8<--
WVUThorns:
* Zach reported.  He has a small-ish but not well understood LORENE2
initial data from his collaborator, has permissions to use it.
* Working with Josh Faber (RIT) who is using LORENE2 for binary NS
mergers, will have another small initial data set from him.
* Discussion of a possible problem in LORENE2, a bug, that may make it
incorrect.  In the translation from French to English a subroutine was
not translated.  Also the LORENE1 initial data may not be useful in
LORENE2.
* Because of this Zach and Steve recommend proceeding with caution.
Last week the conclusion had been to replace LORENE1 with LORENE2...now
not recommended until this is understood/explored further.
--8<--

this

http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-December/006691.html

provides

--8<--
LORENE:
* Josh reported on bugs existing in the English named classes in LORENE
  in the newer part of the codebase that do not yet exist in the French
  named classed
* Josh expects to send bug fixes back to LORENE but will take a while
  to track them down
* not sure if the ET's LORENE1 already has these bugs present that
  exist in LORENE2
--8<--

after which there is no more updates.