#229: Using a nonexistent header file should lead to an error message
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
If I have the following in my interface.ccl,
USES INCLUDE: vectors.h
but no thorn in my thornlist provides this header file, there is no error
at compile time. Further, if I #include this file in my source file, an
empty file is included, which means that again I don't get an error. The
first indication that something is wrong is that the contents of the
header file are not available, which makes debugging the problem with the
thornlist very confusing.
I propose that the CST should emit a fatal error if one of the thorns
tries to use a header file which does not exist.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/229>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#283: Update and make CoreDoc.pdf available in the EinsteinToolkit website
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Reporter: bmundim | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit website | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
The advanced concepts document:
http://cactuscode.org/documentation/CoreDoc.pdf
should be updated and made available in the ET website, both in pdf and
html.
Does anyone know where its .tex file version is located?
Thanks,
Bruno.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/283>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#163: Assertion `tl>=0 and tl<timelevels' failed error
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Reporter: azebrowski@… | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version:
Keywords: |
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
I'm currently running a Cactus simulation based off the ET mclachlan
parameter file. I have some custom thorns which force checkpointing every
iteration, and then write new parameter files. The new parameter files
are used to run specific functions from the host simulation ("spawning"),
but I'm having some problems resuming simulations.
Currently, I get this error when resuming:
INFO (Carpet): GF: rhs: 818k active, 1440k owned (+76%), 1896k total
(+32%), 328 steps/time
cactus_sim:
/home/azebrowski/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/th.hh:79: double
th::get_time(int, int, int) const: Assertion `tl>=0 and tl<timelevels'
failed.
[cyder:32759] *** Process received signal ***
[cyder:32759] Signal: Aborted (6)
I'm guessing there's a parameter I'm not setting properly in my child
simulation, could anyone give me a pointer to where I should be looking?
I looked for things relating to timelevels in the host/spawned parameter
files, but didn't see anything that stood out. My parameter files used
and full output are attached to this email, with the disclaimer that I
modified the spawned parameter file to run every function instead of
skipping some in an attempt to bypass any problems that could be caused by
skipping some Carpet function on accident.
I've made a bzipped tarball containing the checkpointed data from the
simulation. It contains several parameter files. The parameter file of
interest here is spawn.par, as it doesn't use any of my custom code but
still causes Cactus to abort with an error. I left the other parameter
files in on the off chance that I might need to refer to them later.
Here is the source parameter file, which creates the spawned simulation:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/ml-ahfinder-spawn.par
Here is the spawned simulation's parameter file:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/spawn.par
Here is the full checkpointed data and another copy of the spawned
parameter file:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/data.tar.bz2
Other information:
I ran the simulation using OpenMP with 12 cores to generate the
checkpointed data. I've also tried MPI, but that didn't seem to make a
difference.
Thornlist:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/ThornList
gcc:
azebrowski@cyder:~/Cactus$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu
4.4.3-4ubuntu5' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-
shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --program-suffix=-4.4
--enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-plugin
--enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i486 --with-tune=generic
--enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu
--target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
Fortran is gfortran-4.4
I'm using the Mercurial version of Carpet, and the ET development thorns.
If you need more information, please let me know.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/163>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#176: Test parameter files without running them
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
It would be useful to be able to check that the parameters of a run are OK
before running it. Since there can be long queue times on supercomputers,
it would be good to do this on a local machine which might not have as
much memory as is required for the full run. Currently, running the job
would cause memory exhaustion on the smaller machine.
One solution would be an additional command-line argument to Cactus
--exit-after-paramcheck which stops the run cleanly after the PARAMCHECK
Cactus bin. This is preferable to a new Cactus parameter, as it would not
require the parameter file to be modified. One could imagine this also
being potentially used by simfactory automatically when submitting a job
(though this would only work if you could run MPI executables on the head
node).
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/176>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#177: EXC_BAD_ACCESS in CarpetIOASCII
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version:
Keywords: |
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
I am trying to run a minimal parameter file for testing purposes
(attached). Cactus gets as far as printing the iteration 0 info line and
then appears to hang. When I run in a debugger, it reports:
Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: 13 at address: 0x0000000000000000
0x0000000100b858b7 in CarpetIOASCII::WriteASCII<0> (os=@0x7fff5fbfc5e0,
gfdatas={<std::_Vector_base<const gdata *, std::allocator<const gdata *>
>> = {_M_impl = {<allocator<const gdata *>> =
{<__gnu_cxx::new_allocator<const gdata *>> = {<No data fields>}, <No data
fields>}, _M_start = 0x109f0ea10, _M_finish = 0x109f0eab8,
_M_end_of_storage = 0x109f0eab8}}, <No data fields>},
gfext=@0x7fff5fbfc960, vi=0, time=0, org=@0x7fff5fbfcafc,
dirs=@0x7fff5fbfd150, rl=0, ml=0, m=0, c=0, tl=0, coord_time=0,
coord_lower=@0x7fff5fbfc9d8, coord_upper=@0x7fff5fbfc9f0) at
ioascii.cc:1378
1378 switch (vartype) {
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0000000100b858b7 in CarpetIOASCII::WriteASCII<0>
(os=@0x7fff5fbfc5e0, gfdatas={<std::_Vector_base<const gdata *,
std::allocator<const gdata *> >> = {_M_impl = {<allocator<const gdata *>>
= {<__gnu_cxx::new_allocator<const gdata *>> = {<No data fields>}, <No
data fields>}, _M_start = 0x109f0ea10, _M_finish = 0x109f0eab8,
_M_end_of_storage = 0x109f0eab8}}, <No data fields>},
gfext=@0x7fff5fbfc960, vi=0, time=0, org=@0x7fff5fbfcafc,
dirs=@0x7fff5fbfd150, rl=0, ml=0, m=0, c=0, tl=0, coord_time=0,
coord_lower=@0x7fff5fbfc9d8, coord_upper=@0x7fff5fbfc9f0) at
ioascii.cc:1378
#1 0x0000000100b5b7ee in CarpetIOASCII::IOASCII<0>::OutputDirection
(cctkGH=0x109f073f0, vindex=0, alias={_M_dataplus = {<allocator<char>> =
{<__gnu_cxx::new_allocator<char>> = {<No data fields>}, <No data fields>},
_M_p = 0x10a06c1c8 "carpet::timing"}}, basefilename={_M_dataplus =
{<allocator<char>> = {<__gnu_cxx::new_allocator<char>> = {<No data
fields>}, <No data fields>}, _M_p = 0x10a06ba68
"minimal/carpet::timing"}}, dirs=@0x7fff5fbfd150, is_new_file=true,
truncate_file=true) at ioascii.cc:610
#2 0x0000000100b554c4 in CarpetIOASCII::IOASCII<0>::OutputVarAs
(cctkGH=0x109f073f0, varname=0x10a06c170 "CARPET::physical_time_per_hour",
alias=0x10a06be00 "carpet::timing") at ioascii.cc:480
#3 0x0000000100b57370 in CarpetIOASCII::IOASCII<0>::TriggerOutput
(cctkGH=0x109f073f0, vindex=0) at ioascii.cc:359
#4 0x0000000100b542b7 in CarpetIOASCII::IOASCII<0>::OutputGH
(cctkGH=0x109f073f0) at ioascii.cc:239
#5 0x000000010329a006 in Carpet::OutputGH (cctkGH=0x109f073f0) at
OutputGH.cc:55
#6 0x0000000103293b25 in Carpet::OutputGH (where=0x104c70f3c
"Initialise::CallAnalysis", cctkGH=0x109f073f0) at Initialise.cc:1382
#7 0x000000010328d432 in Carpet::CallAnalysis (cctkGH=0x109f073f0) at
Initialise.cc:530
#8 0x00000001032892d4 in Carpet::Initialise (fc=0x7fff5fbfe2b0) at
Initialise.cc:118
#9 0x000000010005806a in main (argc=4, argv=0x7fff5fbfe318) at
flesh.cc:80
I do not see how this line "switch(vartype)" where vartype is declared on
the stack, could lead to this error. This configuration has been rebuilt
with -O0 (Intel compiler) and debugging enabled.
This is with the current production (Git) version of Carpet running on Mac
OS 10.6.5. The code is compiled as 64 bit. This parameter file has
worked in the past, though with 32 bit on Mac OS 10.5.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/177>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#215: Driscoll&Healy integration for Multipole
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
The attached patch implements a more accurate integration over the sphere,
using an algorithm by Driscoll & Healy. This algorithm uses Gaussian
integration weights, leading (almost) to exponential convergence.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/215>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#262: make error messages in ReflectionSymmetry more informative
--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------
Reporter: roland.haas@… | Type: enhancement
Status: new | Priority: minor
Milestone: | Component: Cactus
Version: | Keywords:
--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------
this small patch includes the value of ierr in ReflectionSymmetries error
messages
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/262>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#221: Simfactory should complain about unused arguments
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner: mthomas
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Keywords: |
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
When more arguments are given to simfactory that it uses, it should
complain with an error message.
For example, "sim stop sim1 sim2" stops simulation sim1 and ignores the
argument sim2. Instead, it should output an error message if the argument
sim2 is ignored.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/221>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#120: Improve built-in help system
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner: mthomas
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
SimFactory currently provides a single help screen when you type "sim
help". I would like to be able to do "sim help <command>" and get help
which is relevant for that command. This help should say briefly what the
command does, and give a comprehensive list of the options specific to
that command. The top-level "sim help" command should then give a list of
the commands, and a list of the simfactory options which apply to all
commands. This first help page should be kept as brief as possible so
that it is easy to see at a glance what commands are available. The most
common commands should be listed first, and maybe separated from the less
common commands.
I think this is important as it is the first port-of-call when someone
wants to know how to use a particular feature, especially when the syntax
is similar but not quite the same as in SimFactory 1.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/120>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit