#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
Sorry, I was actually working on that right now. Also, there’s been some internal pressure to make sure this gets in this release, but I am not sure how feasible it is to actually get them all ready. However, I at the very least would like to see if I can get `GRHayLib`, `GRHayLID`, and `GRHayLHD` in.
I did push changes that should make the Balsara1 test work. We had switched the thorn from using its own copies of HydroBase to directly using HydroBase variables, which led to the issues you saw in regards to `rho` and `P`.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2755: bugs in POWER code
Reporter: Anuj Kankani
Status: submitted
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: major
Component: Other
Comment (by Roland Haas):
Ouch, very wrong indeed. Thanks for the report. I will try and incorporate them as soon as I can.
The angular momentum expression is probably one of those things that no one quite remembers where they got it from I \(RH\) can try and poke Eliu \(EAH\). Maybe he still recalls.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2755/bugs-in-power-code
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Peter Diener):
The code compiled okay, but I have trouble running the Balsara1 tests in GRHayLHD and GRHayLMHD. First of all both tests tried to set a parameter from GRHayLID called test\_1D\_initial\_data. However, the parameter defined there is initial\_data\_1D. In addition they tried to set test\_shock\_direction, whereas the parameter defined in GRHayLID is shock\_direction.After fixing those, the tests started running but failed when trying to do output of GRHayLHD::rho\_b and GRHayLHD::pressure \(similarly for GRHayLMHD\). Looking in the interface.ccl of the hydro thorns is see rho\_b and pressure mentioned in a comment but they are not defined.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2755: bugs in POWER code
Reporter: Anuj Kankani
Status: submitted
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
I noticed two bugs in the POWER code \([https://git.ncsa.illinois.edu/elihu/Gravitational\_Waveform\_Extractor](https://git.ncsa.illinois.edu/elihu/Gravitational_Waveform_Extractor)\) that I have l listed below.
1. Running the code as is on the GW150914 gallery example does not match the reference waveform provided. I believe this is due to lines 601-624 in the code, in the POWER function, where the amplitude and phase are fit to polynomials and extrapolated. Replacing these lines with numpy polyfit seems to fix the issue as far as I can tell, and I have provided a plot comparing the reference waveform with and without the fix. The code I used to replace line 601 and down is
```
#Extrapolate
phase_extrapolation_order = 1
amp_extrapolation_order = 2
radii = np.asarray(radii, dtype=float)
b_phase = np.empty(dtype=radii.dtype, shape=(len(radii), len(t)))
b_amp = np.empty(dtype=radii.dtype, shape=(len(radii), len(t)))
for j in range(len(radii)):
b_phase[j] = phase[j][:, 1]
b_amp[j] = amp[j][:, 1]
radially_extrapolated_amp=np.polyfit(1/radii,b_amp,amp_extrapolation_order)[-1]
radially_extrapolated_phase=np.polyfit(1/radii,b_phase,phase_extrapolation_order)[-1]
radially_extrapolated_h_plus = radially_extrapolated_amp * np.cos(radially_extrapolated_phase)
radially_extrapolated_h_cross = radially_extrapolated_amp * np.sin(radially_extrapolated_phase)
extrapolated_strains[None][el,em] = np.column_stack((t, radially_extrapolated_h_plus, radially_extrapolated_h_cross))
return extrapolated_strains
```
2\. In the `getCutoffFrequencyFromTwoPuncturesBBH` function lines 341-351 have incorrect equations for angular momentum. It looks like a typo between position and momentum in the second term. For example one equation is given as
`angularmomentum1x = position1y * momentum1z - momentum1z * momentum1y`
These are just two bugs I have found, I haven’t checked the whole code.
Also, in the angular\_momentum function, it says
```
# RH: expression was originally provided by EAH
# TODO: get referecen for this from EAH
```
I was just wondering if you had a reference for the equation used?
Thanks!
attachment: waveform-comparison.png (https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2…)
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2755/bugs-in-power-code
#2695: Inclusion of AsterX in the Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Jay Kalinani
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2024_05
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Changes (by Roland Haas):
milestone: ET_2024_05 (was ET_2023_11)
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2695/inclusion-of-aste…
#2753: Add CarpetX thorns to Einstein Toolkit manifest
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: Other
Comment (by Roland Haas):
We have a list of tested compilers on [https://github.com/eschnett/CarpetX/wiki/CompilerCompatibility](https://git… so we could for now add the thornlist to master to see what \(not if, we know something will\) breaks and then get started fixing things. gcc-9 is the earliest gcc compiler that was found to work which is newer than the current minimum of gcc-6 \(for C\+\+11\), so we may have to scout out which OS / distros / package manager provide older gcc by default \(or disable-thorns the CarpetX thorns in generic.ini which is opaque to users usually\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2753/add-carpetx-thorn…
#2753: Add CarpetX thorns to Einstein Toolkit manifest
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: Other
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
Based on the call, the consensus seems to be to include CarpetX but have it disabled by default. We can, of course, change this to enabled in a future release.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2753/add-carpetx-thorn…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Peter Diener):
I added the repository at the end of my einstein toolkit thornlist and got errors from GetComponents:
```none
Do you want to update all existing components? yes, no [no] : n
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Checking out module: Scalar/doc
from repository: https://bitbucket.org/canuda/Scalar.git
into: Cactus/arrangements
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Checking out module: GRHayL/GRHayLib
from repository: https://github.com/GRHayL/GRHayL.git
into: Cactus/arrangements
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Checking out module: GRHayLET/GRHayLHD
from repository: https://github.com/GRHayL/GRHayLET.git
into: Cactus/arrangements
Warning: Could not checkout GRHayLET/GRHayLHD, unable to switch to branch main. Any existing symlinks to GRHayLET/GRHayLHD will be broken
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Checking out module: GRHayLET/GRHayLMHD
from repository: https://github.com/GRHayL/GRHayLET.git
into: Cactus/arrangements
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Checking out module: GRHayLET/GRHayLID
from repository: https://github.com/GRHayL/GRHayLET.git
into: Cactus/arrangements
Warning: Could not checkout GRHayL/GRHayLib, unable to switch to branch main. Any existing symlinks to GRHayL/GRHayLib will be broken
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1 components checked out.
0 components updated.
Unable to process GRHayLET/GRHayLHD
Unable to process GRHayL/GRHayLib
Summary of Warnings:
Could not checkout GRHayLET/GRHayLHD, unable to switch to branch main. Any existing symlinks to GRHayLET/GRHayLHD will be broken
Could not checkout GRHayL/GRHayLib, unable to switch to branch main. Any existing symlinks to GRHayL/GRHayLib will be broken
```
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2753: Add CarpetX thorns to Einstein Toolkit manifest
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: Other
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
I logged into the INL machines. The most recent versions listed by module are
* sawtooth: gcc/10.4.0
* lemhi: gcc/11.2.0
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2753/add-carpetx-thorn…