#2677: add -Wl,--rpath,FOO sets RUNPATH rather than RPATH for new linkers
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: minor
Component: Cactus
The elf RPATH variable has been declared obsolete and instead RUNPATH introduced. The latter only affects the search path of the actual executable and not that of any libraries it loads. While maybe a good idea from the point of view of not having the top level executable changing search path for its libraries, this does not work on all clusters.
On frontera the module provided libraries do not set RUNPATH at all and instead rely on a `module load` and `LD_LIBRARY_PATH` to set up correct search paths. Which can be annoying if one wants to avoid simfactory to run simulations \(which would load the modules\).
One can pass an options `-Wl,--disable-new-dtags` to make a _new_ linker use the _old_ meaning of `-Wl,--rpath`. This may be something to consider for Cactus' configuration scripts.
See [https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70149080/ldd-shows-so-not-found-but-run… for references on this [https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52018092/how-to-set-rpath-and-runpath-w…
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2677/add-wl-rpath-foo-…
#2676: Consolidate/improve support options
Reporter: Gabriele Bozzola
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit website
The support page on the website has:
* Search bar. This is supposed to search on the website/mailing lists/tickets. I tried searching for “libfabric”, which was in the subject on an email sent last month to users, but no result popped out, so maybe something is not working as expected. Personally, I remember that I had tried using the search bar in the past but found that it was unhelpful \(I cannot really put my finger on why exactly\).
* User mailing list. The description invites people to ask questions.
* Commits mailing list. Should this really in the “support” page?
* Cactus mailing list. The link is broken.
* Bug tracker.
* IRC. Half the links in this section are broken and it is not possible to look at the logs. Is anyone actually using this \(except Roland\)?
* Gitter. The description says that “we are currently exploring” this option. The chat room received only a handful of messages over the past year and doesn’t look particularly active.
* Weekly calls.
I feel that there are too many open support channels, resulting in \(1\) information being dispersed/made harder to find, \(2\) difficulty for users to ask questions and receive an answer \(I think that this is barrier for users that are unfamiliar with our community and those that are just getting started\).
I think that there is benefit in consolidating the support channels, as currently the places where one could ask a question are 6 \(ET user mailing list, Cactus mailing list, Bug tracker, IRC, Gitter, weekly call\).
In this, I feel that a platform like gitter has a lot of potential and chatting in real-time can be a very effective way to quickly get questions answered. However, users might think that the forum is dead when they see that the last message was sent 6 months ago, if we prune ineffective support channels, we can also consider emphasizing gitter more.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2676/consolidate-impro…
#2675: Several broken links on the website
Reporter: Gabriele Bozzola
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit website
Comment (by Roland Haas):
Thank you for reporting these. I had not quite realized there were that many. A link checker would have to be part of a Bitbucket pipeline or GitHub action. Right now there is no pipeline that produces the website, it is plain, unprocessed HTML site. For the [www.cactuscode.org](http://www.cactuscode.org) website \(which does use github actions\) I run w3c’s linkchecker [https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/w3c-linkchecker](https://packages.debi… and I guess a similar thing could be tied to a pipeline triggered whenever the web-server pulls a fresh copy from the repo.
The missing png ones are most likely a failure in the HTML thorndoc documentation scripts. Those seem somewhat error prone and dependent on OS version unfortunately.
The many links to dead clusters should be updated, yes.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2675/several-broken-li…
#1066: Implement IMEX integrators in MoL
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: open
Milestone:
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
Though @{557058:56049c54-f8c2-4b6c-9b88-ab697c967495} just pointed out a flaw in my thinking. So I no longer have a direct application for this.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/1066/implement-imex-in…
#1066: Implement IMEX integrators in MoL
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: open
Milestone:
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Changes (by Roland Haas):
responsible: [] (was )
assignee: Roland Haas (was )
Dana Alic contributed an implementation of IMEX integrators for MoL.
I attach the implementation as a patch (based on r133 of MoL). The implementation is well tested. The patch does not apply cleanly, and seems to make some modifications to the schedule etc. as well that have since been superseded by other changes to MoL.
**Keyword:**
Comment (by Roland Haas):
have some renewed interest in this
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/1066/implement-imex-in…
#2674: Einstein Toolkit != Cactus
Reporter: Zach Etienne
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Zach Etienne):
There are a number of modules that don’t depend on Cactus in the Cactus directory, including NRPyPN, and ExternalLibraries.
Maybe a directory structure should be created under `EinsteinToolkit/` , including Cactus, SelfForce, NRPyPN etc? Also wouldn’t it be best if the download directions for the Einstein Toolkit downloaded the entire Toolkit, instead of separate instructions for other modules under the ET umbrella?
Yeah sorry I was confused of the definition of “blocker”, thanks for clarifying. Still I believe this should be fixed.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2674/einstein-toolkit-…
#2674: Einstein Toolkit != Cactus
Reporter: Zach Etienne
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Roland Haas):
Note that what is in the “Cactus” directory _is_ actually Cactus. For the non-cactus based codes \(SelfForce1D and kuibit\) we \(have to, since they do not work well with GetComponents\) provide separate download instructions.
So certainly what GetComponents downloads is not all of the Einstein Toolkit.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2674/einstein-toolkit-…