#2757: NSIMD tries to download sleef when compiling
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
NSIMD \(required for CarpetX\) tries to download sleef using Python requests while compiling. This fails eg if Python does not offer requests \(or is too old\), eg on expanse:
```
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/rhaas/CarpetXCPU/configs/sim/scratch/build/NSIMD/nsimd-3.0.1/egg/hatch.py", line 54, in <module>
import get_sleef_code
File "/home/rhaas/CarpetXCPU/configs/sim/scratch/build/NSIMD/nsimd-3.0.1/egg/get_sleef_code.py", line 23, in <module>
import requests
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'requests'
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:217 (set_property):
set_property could not find TARGET api_cpu. Perhaps it has not yet been
created.
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:218 (target_include_directories):
Cannot specify include directories for target "api_cpu" which is not built
by this project.
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:320 (target_compile_options):
Cannot specify compile options for target "api_cpu" which is not built by
this project.
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
```
but would also fail on LRZ’s SuperMUC which does not allow outgoing internet connections at all.
NSIMD should contain a copy of sleef, both to avoid this and to ensure that it gets a well defined version.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2757/nsimd-tries-to-do…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
For the full library documentation, I point them to the GitHub wiki where we give details on all the library functions. Hopefully that is sufficient.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
I pushed a version of the documentation for `GRHayLib`, as well as documentation updates/additions for the others.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2739: change ADMMacros::spatial_order to GRHydro::sources_spatial_order in Hydro_RNSID example parfiles
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: open
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
@stevenrbrandt says “please apply”
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2739/change-admmacros-…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
Sorry if I was unclear before, but we aren’t trying to get the MHD into this release anymore. Just `GRHayLib`, `GRHayLHD(X)`, and `GRHayLID(X)`. I have documentation.tex that I have been working on, but I haven’t finished and pushed it yet. I will update as soon as I do.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Peter Diener):
The tests for GRHayLHD now runs, but the new data is for 1 processor whereas the test requirement is for running on 2 processors. The test for GRHayLMHD still sets wrong parameters. After fixing those, the test fails with differences in all output files.
GRHayLib has no documentation. I would think that a library in order to be really useful would have documentation that describe the provided interfaces.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
I ported all the changes made to `GRHayLHD` and `GRHayLID` to the X versions and added a test to `GRHayLHDX.` I also checked that the test looks the same for both versions \(as much as they can with cell/vertex differences\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2756: SystemTopology fails to handle Intel CPUs with performance and efficiency cores
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
SystemTopology fails on new Intel CPUs with an assert similar to:
```
cactus_sim: configs/sim/build/SystemTopology/system_topology.cc:471: void {anonymous}::set_bindings(hwloc_topology_t, const mpi_host_mapping_t&): Assertion `num_pus % num_cores == 0' failed.
```
where in the case of a 12th Gen Intel\(R\) Core\(TM\) i7-12700
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List\_of\_Intel\_Core\_i7\_processors#Golden\…
with performance \(16\) and efficiency \(4\) logical cpus hwloc reports:
core\_depth 5
num\_cores 12
pu\_depth 6
num\_pus 20
and the assert \`num\_pus % num\_cores == 0\` fails \(b/c only the 8 performance
cores have hyperthreads\).
This has been reported on the mailing list in [https://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2023-August/009036.html](…
Not sure if the asserted property is indeed required by SystemTopology or if this is only a sanity check that can be removed without affecting functionality. Certainly performance will be unbalanced between MPI ranks and OpenMP threads that run on P or E cores respectively \(and also if a hyperthread pair was split among two MPI ranks\).
This may mostly affect workstations and laptops as I would not expect server class CPUs \(on HPC systems\) to have efficiency cores \(do they?\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2756/systemtopology-fa…