#2811: Formaline Optionally use non-system Perl
Reporter: Yosef Zlochower
Status: open
Milestone:
Version:
Type: proposal
Priority: minor
Component: Cactus
Comment (by Roland Haas):
Cactus' build system uses the `make` \(and thus shell\) variable `$PERL` for the location of the configured Perl interpreter. This cannot quite be used in the `#!` line since that line does not do variable expansion.
We also cannot use any options of `env` other than the ones in POSIX: [https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/env.html](https:… so `-S` is not possible \(though it does seems to be supported on Linux and macOS\). Otherwise using something like `env -S ${PERL} -w` would be great.
Instead the Cactus make files run perl scripts as `$PERL foo.pl` and the scripts should use `use warnings;` instead of the `-w` switch.
Is that something that you could give a try? I am not sure what other scripts in Formaline exist that are directly called and not already via `$PERL`.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2811/formaline-optiona…
#2811: Formaline Optionally use non-system Perl
Reporter: Yosef Zlochower
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: proposal
Priority: minor
Component: Cactus
During the last stage of the build process, makeblob.pl, under Formaline/src/utils/ is run. The build fails if /usr/bin/perl is missing or doesn’t have the necessary modules included. I got around this issue by compiling my own version of perl and replacing “#! /usr/bin/perl -w” with “#! /usr/bin/env -S perl -w”
```diff
diff --git a/Formaline/src/util/makeblob.pl b/Formaline/src/util/makeblob.pl
index e5bcafd..bcc2084 100755
--- a/Formaline/src/util/makeblob.pl
+++ b/Formaline/src/util/makeblob.pl
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-#! /usr/bin/perl -w
+#! /usr/bin/env -S perl -w
use diagnostics;
use warnings;
```
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2811/formaline-optiona…
#2810: download tar files for Multipatch gallery example misnamed
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit website
Most of the Kerr-Schild multi\*patch\* gallery example tar files are named incorrectly \(with the correctly named one being @{557058:a2800088-fc6e-4fbe-9a1e-663271f736bd} 's from 2019\). Namely they are named Kerr-Schild\_\*Multipole\*.
Not sure if there is anything that can be done about the past files, but future files should be named correctly unless we want to maintain bug-for-bug backwards compatibility in naming schemes of those files.
Files are at: [https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/www/downloads/](https://bitbucket.org…
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2810/download-tar-file…
#2809: version numbers in Cactus Makefile out of date
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: resolved
Milestone:
Version: ET_2024_05
Type: bug
Priority: major
Component:
Changes (by Steven R. Brandt):
status: resolved (was new)
Comment (by Steven R. Brandt):
Done
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2809/version-numbers-i…
#2179: NaNChecker: fix output of NaNMask
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: open
Milestone:
Version: development version
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Changes (by Roland Haas):
In af45e31 - NaNChecker: reduce nan mask in level mode a bug was introduced that caused the NaNMask to be cleared in level mode where the NaNMask pointer is not valid.
This fixes this and also restructures the functions so that all levels of the NaNMask starting with the one containing NaNs are output.
Pull request is here:
[https://bitbucket.org/cactuscode/cactusutils/pull-requests/42](https://bitb…
**Keyword:** NaNChecker
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2179/nanchecker-fix-ou…
#2520: update gauge settings in TOV example to be more typical
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version: development version
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component:
Comment (by David Boyer):
@{557058:59e031ba-9bb5-4298-a472-7b99d0ae6f22} I attempted the changes of the parfile as mentioned in the ticket. I’m posting what I changed in the parfiles and the plots I got. I would like to hear your opinion on if it is okay, or if there is another fix you suggest.
_**Original parfiles**_:
```
ML_BSSN::harmonicN = 1 # these set:
ML_BSSN::harmonicF = 1.0 # dot[alpha] = - alpha A
ML_BSSN::evolveA = 1 # dot[A] = dot[trK]
ML_BSSN::evolveB = 1 # these set: dot[beta] = dot[dot[beta]] = 0
ML_BSSN::ShiftGammaCoeff = 0.0 # by choosing coeffs to zero the RHS
ML_BSSN::AlphaDriver = 0.0
ML_BSSN::BetaDriver = 0.0
ML_BSSN::advectLapse = 0
ML_BSSN::advectShift = 0
```
_**I Replaced with**_:
```
ML_BSSN::harmonicN = 1 # 1+log
ML_BSSN::harmonicF = 2.0 # 1+log
ML_BSSN::ShiftGammaCoeff = 0.75
ML_BSSN::AlphaDriver = 0.0
ML_BSSN::BetaDriver = 0.0
ML_BSSN::advectLapse = 1.0
ML_BSSN::advectShift = 1.0
```
_**Summary of differences**_:
I mainly had an issue with the given BetaDriver. **I did first attempt this by using what was directly stated in the latter half of the ticket \(no changes\), but whenever BetaDriver was turned on \(set to 1\), densities would begin to runaway with nans at around t=60M. Turning BetaDriver off seemed to fix this issue, but I’m not sure if it was okay to do.**
On a smaller note, I also changed Lapse/ShiftAdvectionCoeff to advectLapse/Shift, as it was stated in the ML\_BSSN thorn that the former was the outdated name and was renamed to advectLapse/Shift. Same variable, just a new name. I don’t think this point really changes anything, just using the up-to-date variable names.
_**Plots**_:
I have included my plots here. They are VERY NEARLY the same plots as the current gallery example, but there seems to be slight differences, the most noticeable being slightly more runoff at the end of the low res run for density.
Are these plots okay, or were they meant to be point-per-point exactly the same? And if BetaDriver needs to be set to 1, is there another variable that needs to be changed to avoid the runaway nans?


--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2520/update-gauge-sett…