#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping --------------------+------------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Keywords: | --------------------+------------------------------------------------------- See
http://cactuscode.org/pipermail/developers/2011-November/006258.html
This displays without any line wrapping. This only happens with some emails (mine?). I'm not doing anything non-standard, as far as I know.
#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
Your email does not contain any line break in its paragraphs.
I think that our mailing list software is not very clever in presenting emails; it just shows the line breaks that the original email has.
#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
Replying to [comment:1 eschnett]:
I think that our mailing list software is not very clever in presenting
emails; it just shows the line breaks that the original email has.
That is what I would expect it to do. Suppose you don't want to have line breaks, e.g. because you pasted some code which wouldn't work with line breaks.
If you want line breaks, you should have the email client insert them.
#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
I don't want the archive to insert line breaks, I want it to wrap the text to the width of the window. If I send an email to a mailing list with the default settings of a standard mail client (Apple Mail), then I expect that mail to be formatted in the same way in the archive as when it is displayed in standard mail clients. Standard mail clients will wrap the text to the width of the window, and that is what I would expect from the HTML in the message archive.
(Note: this is a separate issue to the ancient problem of not being allowed more than 76 characters per line in raw SMTP - that is handled by the quoted-printable encoding method in MIME, and the email should simply be considered to have no line breaks in its paragraphs.)
#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
The archive pages use {{{<PRE>}}} tags for the actual email. Some CSS can be used to wrap the line.
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/10/html-css-trick-for-displaying-code.html
I tried this with (a local copy of) Ian's email adding {{{ <style type="text/css"> pre { white-space: pre-wrap; /* css-3 */ white-space: -moz-pre-wrap !important; /* Mozilla, since 1999 */ white-space: -pre-wrap; /* Opera 4-6 */ white-space: -o-pre-wrap; /* Opera 7 */ word-wrap: break-word; /* Internet Explorer 5.5+ */ } </style> }}} to it's {{{<head>}}} section and it works fine with Firefox 3.6.24 on Linux.
I have no idea how to include css styles in mailman/pipermails web pages though.
#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
There are suggestions in http://grokbase.com/t/python.org/mailman- users/2003/02/mailman-users-word-wrap-in- archives/19ei2bkuyphd5o6757jotkagyqxi to solve the problem, which involve editing one of the the mailman python scripts to change a configuration parameter.
#723: Archived emails to mailing lists are displayed without line-wrapping --------------------------------------+------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: dcastl2 Type: enhancement | Status: assigned Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit website | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------------------+------------------------------------- Changes (by knarf):
* owner: => dcastl2 * status: new => assigned * component: Cactus => EinsteinToolkit website * type: defect => enhancement
Comment:
Dennis: Can you have a look into this please?
trac@lists.einsteintoolkit.org