#640: Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ --------------------+------------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_10 Component: Carpet | Version: Keywords: | --------------------+------------------------------------------------------- When I run qc0-mclachlan.par with the current trunk, I get this warning
{{{ WARNING level 1 in thorn CarpetReduce processor 0 host kop70.datura.admin (line 120 of /home/ianhin/Cactus/EinsteinToolkit/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetReduce/src/mask_test.c): -> Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ INFO (CarpetReduce): Simulation domain volume: 432000 INFO (CarpetReduce): Reduction weight sum: 431999.996160507 }}}
This happens very frequently - more frequently than the CarpetIOBasic output. I think people who try the released ET with the example BBH parameter file will be concerned by this warning.
#640: Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_10 Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
This will then need to be mentioned and explained in the release notes.
I assume that you are using CarpetMask, aren't you?
#640: Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_10 Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
I am using Cactus/par/qc0-mclachlan.par, which uses CarpetMask. Could we remove the use of CarpetMask from this example parameter file, as well as mention the problem in the release notes? I'm uncomfortable with having such a prominent warning appear on every iteration. Do you know the cause of the problem?
#640: Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_10 Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
The problem is that CarpetMask reduces the volume of the simulation domain by excision the interior of the black hole from the reduction operations.
Without CarpetMask, many reductions will be useless and/or nan.
We can add a check whether CarpetMask is active, and if so, reduce the severity or omit the warning.
#640: Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Changes (by hinder):
* milestone: ET_2011_10 =>
Comment:
I have added the information to the release notes. Removing release milestone.
#640: Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ ------------------------+--------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: closed Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: duplicate | Keywords: ------------------------+--------------------------------------------------- Changes (by eschnett):
* status: new => closed * resolution: => duplicate
Comment:
This is a duplicate of #434.
trac@lists.einsteintoolkit.org