#814: Allow different timers on different processors in TimerReport ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: defect | Status: closed Priority: major | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: Resolution: fixed | Keywords: TimerReport ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
I don't understand why deletion of timers is allowed by Cactus. What does it mean? At the end of a run, you want to know how much time has been spent in each timer. Deleted timers make this impossible. Unless there is some compelling argument, maybe we should consider deprecating CCTK_TimerDestroy at some point in the future.
Another issue is the assumption that timer names are only 100 characters long (this might have been due to me). Carpet's hierarchical timers are implemented as Cactus timers with names based on their path. i.e. main/Evolve/.../myfn. These could in principle get quite long. I am unhappy about silently truncating the timer names. I think it would be better to allow arbitrarily long timer names in TimerReport.