#942: GetComponents should not use shallow clones for Git checkouts ----------------------------+----------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eric9 Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: GetComponents | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Replying to [comment:2 eric9]:
I seem to remember some concern about space limitations in $HOME being
raised in the original discussion of shallow clones. If that is not (no longer?) an issue, then I wholeheartedly support removing the shallow- clone default. A full clone of a git repo tends to be smaller than an svn checkout of the same repo anyway.
Also, the mention of tarballs raises what seems to have been a silly
oversight on my part when I first wrote !GetComponents. We can download arbitrary files using wget/curl, but since we most often deal with code it would be natural to add support for auto-extracting tarballs into the destination folder.
I seem to be usually the one arguing for small sizes due to HOME directory restrictions (usually on Kraken since I have to keep my codes there since it (used to be) is the only folder accessible to me that is not purged). I don't remember having said anything about shallow clones since I would never actually check the code out on kraken but rather use sim sync to transfer which does not (or can be configured to not) include the repository metadata.
I'd welcome making --noshallow the default (whether or not --shallow stays as an option I don't mind, though if it simplifies the code I should be removed). This would also solve occasional problems where I could not check out from bitbucket (but have not been able to really pinpoint what is causing it).