#488: Reduce space taken by Formaline tarballs --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: Formaline --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
To clarify: are we talking about Formaline or simfactory? Formaline should not deal with executables or checkpoints, simfactory not with tarballs.
I was actually going to suggest (different ticket) to make the simfatory executables copies instead of hard links. Otherwise changing the executable via a cp command (eg. when using simfactory in debugging runs which are the vast majority of all runs I run [other user might differ of course]) is rater surprising in that all hardlinked executables change which can in fact cause running simulations to fail (since the disk image that the OS used as paging store changed).
I fully agree that checkpoints in simfactory are to large to copy but am not sure if the same argument applies to the <200MB of executable and tarballs. I tend to generate multi GB of output for even the smallest useful simulation so am not sure if saving 200MB is worth the added headache in having to deal with a more complicated and less inherently robust system.
Please don't get me wrong: if others are more concerned about saving disk space then I can live the proposed changes, they just would not be my first choice.