#2059: SimFactory should detect the number of cores automatically --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Steve: please apply (the version where you used popen again since subprocess is to "new", ie past python 2.3). My suggestion is still to use as many MPI ranks as there there NUMA domains and threads inside, even if this is slower, since this gives a setup more similar to what we usually have on clusters so that one can eg usefully debug OpenMP code. Speed is reduced by that but then speed on a workstation should not be an issue I believe.
I would suggest to set a deadline by which comments need to be in then commit this.
Since we are unlikely to reach consensus (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7282#section-2) in the sense that we all agree on one solution: I would ''prefer'' one I have outlined above but do not ''object'' to the one that uses pure MPI (and that Erik seems to favor).