#1801: Certificate for svn.cct.lsu.edu not trusted ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: unset | Milestone: Component: Other | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
If this failure happened anywhere other than the initial download I would agree that we can ask users to update their system. However since this is the very first thing a new user will do (in particular following the Download link on our website) this really should work, no matter what. Even with the old svn client (I think). If the solution of writing a "useful" set of certificates using OSX's built-in certificate store is not acceptable, then I think that at the very least we must add code to GetComponents that detects that svn is failing due to missing certificates and if it also finds that it runs on OSX it must output a warning explaining what is happening and how to fix it (by suggesting to install homebrew or macports). This warning must be collected with all the other warnings and output at the end of the GetComponents output. I really believe that if the initial download does not work, a new potential user will just give up and look somewhere else (unless they are in a group already using the ET in which case they have local support to sort this out).