#515: Silently overrides DEBUG and OPTIMISE options ----------------------------+----------------------------------------------- Reporter: barry.wardell | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Replying to [comment:3 barry.wardell]:
SimFactory OptionList without SimFactory (Why? Shouldn't you use the
final
optionlist after being processed by SimFactory?). Having these options
in Possibly because of people like me (and eg. Bruno Mundim from RIT), who are reluctant to use simfactory (because of its learning curve, its different directory layout which necessiates rewriting our postprocessing scripts, inertia, ...) :-)
I think 3 is just wrong, but necessary because optimise and debug
probably
use conflicting settings.
It is perfectly fine to have both -O3 and -g3 in CFLAGS. Both gcc and Intel will compile with these settings. In the Intel case attaching a debugger afterwards is often not very useful admittedly since icc seems to optimize the parameters passed to functions but with gcc it usually works fine. In fact I almost always compile with -g3 and -O3 so that any core dumps are useful.
4 is a common annoyance with an obvious (but time consuming) solution.
Preferrably these things would be documented :-). One issue that makes me reluctant to use simfactory is simply its size. If I start looking at its source code I have to dig several level down (or up) to go from where the error string (that I might see) was used to where the error was triggered. Clearly writing documentation (and keeping it up to date) is a large timesink with no obvious benefit to the author.