#1338: Rename Carpet output files -----------------------+---------------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
Given that we've now collected enough arguments for a change from colon to something else, I suggest to write one conclusive proposal to do just that, and send it to all users for comments. What is missing for that, besides the summary, is a proposal for a new naming scheme. Assuming we only substitute characters (but we wouldn't be limited by that if there is need), the question is what to substitute the colons with. Common delimiters in filenames, at least as I see it, include the set '_-.+' (excluding the single quotes, and not including spaces for obvious reasons). I am not aware than any of these aren't allowed or problematic anywhere. Using one of '_-.' has the disadvantage that they might be used either in implementation or variable names, or are already used as delimiters for other things. Using one of them twice in a row might make it a little clearer, but also not necessarily (e.g. for '..', which some Carpet output already produces). This in theory leaves '+', but that is kind of unusual, at least I don't see it used that often. In the end it might help to look at examples. Pick your favorite:
{{{ hydrobase__w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase--w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase++w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase..w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase_w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase-w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase+w_lorentz.maximum.asc hydrobase.w_lorentz.maximum.asc }}}
Please don't hesitate to come up with even different examples.