#1853: diagonal output in CarpetIOHDF5 disabled ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: rhaas | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2016_05 Component: Carpet | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Just piping up: as far as I remember, the simulation that failed is one that had a single rather large refinement level (only data from one reflevel is copied), as often happens during supernova simulations. The memory reduction in that case is quite large of course since one goes from 3d data to 2d (or even 1d) data.
Having said that, I have to admit that I am actually more in favor of reverting the change for the release version. I favor this option because current master fails to deliver promised functionality for all users while the version before the patch failed to promise functionality only for some users that know why this happens and how to avoid it (and the users to whom this originally happened are running off master anyway and not off the release branch). So my favored solution (given that I do not see a "proper" handling of diagonal output to be implemented, tested and trusted very quickly), would be to remove the patch the reduces memory consumption at the cost of disabling diagonal output for the release branch only.
My understanding of "development happens on master" and its relationship with release branches is that master may always break anything but that release branches may only break things after a one release announcement that this will happen.