#488: Reduce space taken by Formaline tarballs --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: hinder Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: Formaline --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by hinder):
* owner: => hinder * status: review => accepted
Comment:
I can do so (when I get back from travelling in three weeks), but I am unhappy about two aspects of the solution:
1. SimFactory is learning about a detail of Formaline, as well as modifying existing restarts, when I think this job could easily be done by Formaline as it went along. If Formaline knew where to look for existing tarballs (e.g. by having a global directory, or a path pattern in which to search), then it could do the hard-linking at the time the tarball is created.
2. This solution doesn't address the problem with benchmarks, which typically only have one restart per simulation, and which usually have many simulations for each source tree. Using a common cache directory would solve this problem (either in simfactory, or if 1 is implemented, in formaline).