#1565: change default of IOUtil::out_save_parameters to true --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
If there were negligible overhead, I think people would be more likely to use it. Unfortunately, the overhead is sufficiently large that I frequently take it out of a thornlist that is taking a long time to compile on a slow filesystem, or exclude the source tarballs when I sync data, as for small simulations they are much larger than the actual data. I have thought a lot about a way to store the source information using version control IDs etc, but the main problem there is to know what is a "well-known" repository and ID, such that it will be reproducible in 5 years.
I don't understand your statement about attaching the thorn tarballs to thorns. Do you mean the thorn libraries? As I understand it, these are typically statically linked into the executable. So the source tarballs would end up in the executable anyway, and have to be included at link time. I will open a new ticket about reducing the overhead of Formaline.