#248: Enhance GetComponents functionality when dealing with git branches ----------------------------+----------------------------------------------- Reporter: bmundim | Owner: eric9 Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: GetComponents | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: git branches ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Comment (by eric9):
It seems that the general wisdom is that one should not set up local branches unless you are actually planning to working on that branch. The problem is that the local branches will fall behind and become stale, which I believe is what Ian was saying. This means that if we created local branches to track each remote branch, when users run {{{GetComponents --update}}} I would have to essentially do the following {{{ for $branch in `git branch` { `git checkout $branch`; `git pull --rebase $branch`; } }}}
This is certainly a possibility, but it involves a lot of extra work and could possibly lead to conflicts. Therefore I would suggest simply setting up remote-tracking branches for the branches that the user requests, like I said in my last post.