#2154: Cactus: suppress interaction when using mv in make files --------------------------+--------------------------------- Reporter: Roland Haas | Owner: (none) Type: defect | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+---------------------------------
Comment (by Erik Schnetter):
I am concerned because we are using "mv" in many places. Logically, we either should use "mv -f" everywhere, or nowhere. Otherwise we're implementing a work-around for a poorly understood problem in one place. That means possibly that we'll never encounter the problem again, and the work-around wasn't necessary, or that we'll have to implement the same work-around in many other places.
Cactus uses autoconf variables for many tools, including "ar", "ranlbi", "rm", "tar", etc. If you think that "mv -f" is beneficial, then I'd rather introduce a new configure variable "MV" that either can be set (on this system), or is set by default, to "mv -f".
I would draw a parallel to "rm" and "rm -f" in implementing this.