#1568: Reduce overhead of Formaline --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Sigh. Another comment lost due to the captcha system badly interacting with the browser.
I wanted to ask if we know more details on what makes large files fail to compile. Is it the linker, the compiler, or the OS limiting memory consumption?
I played around with the best way of compiling and found that yes indeed arrays are bad and therefore use a long string with all characters encoded in octal notation. I am also using only gcc so that I have a compiler that is the same everywhere. Perl is also fine with me its not in POSIX though so I did not want to use it in SpEC. Really the intention is only to show that one can pipe the source into gcc.