#757: rsync ignores .rsync.rules files in the Cactus ROOT directory -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
As far as I can tell they would not be part of thorns. They come about because filter.rules contains a like "{{{: .rsync.rules}}}" which apparently that rsync will merge in such a file in any directory is syncs (section PER-DIRECTORY FILTERS in rsync's manual, similar to what the -F option does). I believe (but the other of filter.rules would have to confirm) that these files are intended to serve the same purpose as filter.local.rules ie. to give the user the option to modify rsync's filter rules without having to modify version controlled files. I believe that rsync looks for such files in any directory it encounters. I fully agree that (at least having the option of) having all rules in a single file is desirable. Per directory files can be convenient of one eg. wants to exclude only tests in certain thorn (eg. because it contains large hdf5 data files) since these per-directory rules are automatically anchored in the containing directory. I don't really have a strong preference for one or the other and really only wanted to point out that right now there are two similar but not identical ways to have "local" filter rules.