#1111: Missing fortran compiler prevents CCTK_REAL8 from being defined. ----------------------+----------------------------------------------------- Reporter: sbrandt | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2013_05 Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
I agree. If the user has specified a Fortran compiler in their optionlist and that compiler does not exist, this should be an immediate fatal error. It indicates either that the user has made an error in the optionlist, that the machine configuration has changed, or that the optionlist is not suitable for that system. All of these should be caught as early as possible.
The only argument I can see for this not being an error is if the user wants to use a "generic" optionlist for C thorns only on a system which doesn't have a Fortran compiler. If we really want to support this case, then we need to ensure that the entire configuration stage works with an invalid Fortran compiler, and I think this is unnecessarily complicated. The user can easily work around that by either setting F90 = none on the command line, or editing the optionlist.