#1282: Enable HDF5 compression by default in Carpet --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
I had also used compression (with level 1 I believe) in the past for hydro runs with a good amount of 2d output. I found that (a) my run was slowed down and (b) that for the smallish datasets that are written to 2d hdf5 files, the file size actually increased.
Ideally before we make this change we should try and have at least one round of direct tests to compare speeds. Eg. runs qc0 and a nsns inspiral (which I'll happyly run) for a bit with and without compression to see what happens. Obviously since this is a a parameter, one can always change it back in one's runs but I'd rather avoid adding a parameter that is set to non-default values by most users (though if it is faster for vacuum and slower for hydro runs I would not be sure what to do).