#779: package update -----------------------------------------------+---------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: dcastl2 Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Einstein Toolkit Virtual Machine | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: -----------------------------------------------+----------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Replying to [comment:5 anonymous]:
That's a neat command... I'll be sure to use it next time I compress the
disk image. I also created an internal swap partition of about 768MB which I could overwrite internally with 0s then re-create swapfs before compression. That might make sense yes. Filling it with something easily compressible (dd from /dev/zero should do the trick after turning off swap).
8GB is the fixed upper size limit of the VM disk. I had configured the
disk image for dynamically-expanding storage albeit with an 8GB limit. Is that the internal size according to the guest OS (df -h)? If not then you might have the 'Fixed-sized storage' option selected for the disk, in which case it will always occupy 8GB on the host OS. Well the sfill command writes zeroes everywhere so it will make the disk grow to its maximum size. I don't know how to shrink the disk again or to fill with zeros without growing.