#1995: McLachlan constraint tests fail ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: critical | Milestone: ET_2017_05 Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: McLachlan constraints tests compiler optimization ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by diener):
Also compiling this ML_ADMConstraints with -O1 leads to passing the otherwise failing testsuites on my laptop with the intel 17 compilers. I attempted to run both the -O0 and -O2 executables in gdb in order to try to track down where the differences occured. Unfortunately the -O2 version is too optimized to get anything sensible out of the debugger. Many variables (including the loop indices and local temporary variables) are being reported as "optimized away" so it is impossible to even know if I'm looking at the same loop iteration as in the -O0 debugging session. At this point I have no further ideas about how to proceed in tracking down the cause of the problem. I recommend (if possible) to limit the optimization level to -O1 for the ML_ADMConstraints_evaluate.cc file for the affected compilers, though it will have to be tested if this works in all cases.