#1717: hwloc: lnuma & lltdl *really* required? ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: zachetie@… | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I agree about the problem with workarounds. However:
Replying to [comment:12 eschnett]:
As I mentioned before, it is very easy (a one-line addition) to update
the option list for your machine to avoid this problem. Also, since your system seems broken, you'd have to explain why you cannot correct your install, and why you think that modifying Cactus instead is a better idea.
This seems to be a generic Ubuntu installation. It is not an isolated machine. New users are not unlikely to hit the same issue, unless they know to choose the (then fixed) option list. Also, if this is a problem with the .pc files in hwloc, then this is likely a problem even outside of Ubuntu.
However, you raise the questions whether Cactus should be linked
statically or dynamically by default. These days, we tend to like static linking because (a) disk space usage is not really a concern, and (b) this means that executables are more independent once created.
This might be true on a supercomputer. I certainly like dynamic libraries more when I develop, i.e., most of the time on my laptop/workstation. So, I would answer this with "it depends". I would think both should work.