#1071: ensure atmosphere is properly set after ID ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: defect | Status: review Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2012_11 Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
Yes, and I planned to propose to schedule GRHydro_InitAtmosMask as well, after testing it a bit more. This would be a more drastic change than only calling GRHydro_InitAtmosMask after Initial. Calling GRHydro_InitAtmosMask during evolution would most likely (I didn't check lately) freeze the surface of the star, which isn't what we want most of the time.
Not a lot would change with the currently proposed change, although I agree that some data might be a bit different, especially the output for the first timestep. However, that is the whole point of the proposed change. Initial data thorns should not care about an atmosphere. The atmosphere is a 'problem' of the evolution, not of the initial data. Thus, e.g. the TOVSolver doesn't care about it (anymore), does not look at the different parameters in GRHydro and sets rho=press=eps=0 outside of the star.